The need for cloud-based solutions
The essence of the project is to develop applications that make it easier for car dealers, garages and insurance companies to quickly estimate costs and manage the repair process. Until the complete migration to the cloud, i.e. the first quarter of 2022, the application will still use the platform of a private provider from Sweden, where part of the production environment is located.
Due to the expansion of the company’s operations to other countries, such as Norway, Germany and Austria, there was a need to move the infrastructure to the cloud to ensure the stability and flexibility of the solution. As the contract with the current infrastructure provider was coming to an end, the client decided to use the Azure cloud and gain the ability to scale applications and process larger amounts of data.
The importance of privacy and data protection for the client
Privacy and data protection is a very important issue to the client. Work on migration to the cloud was suspended for almost a year after Max Schrems, an Austrian data privacy activist, filed a complaint with the Court of Justice of the European Union. It concerned the sharing of EU individuals’ data with US-based companies and concerns about storing the data on their servers. At the time, the client was probing the market to verify customer attitudes toward the subject of using the cloud. For the most part, however, there was no opposition, and the client needed flexible resources due to their expansion.
In connection with moving the application to a cloud-based environment, it was important for the client to:
- Put their entire infrastructure in order.
- Ensure that the application runs continuously during the migration process.
- Ensure security and meet all legal requirements for data processing.
- Ensure privacy and the protection of personal data.
A cloud-based system for managing car repair shops
The platform has a comprehensive database that includes work times, painting times, and complete lists of spare parts with article numbers and prices, as well as three-dimensional models that make it easier for garages to select them.
The system consists of the main application, which is currently being migrated to the cloud, and web applications that support separate functionalities, including:
- Overview – an application that collects data from various garages. Using this app, insurance companies can monitor the status of repairs, and garage chains can manage their individual branches.
- Repair – an application for garages to record working time.
- Damage Inspection Booking – an application for booking repair appointments and ordering repair quotes.
Using the information contained in the application, the repair shop employees can easily make the necessary repair calculations, as well as obtaining information about spare parts, prices and estimated order completion times. The solution is currently used by over 23,000 users.
Advantages of the solution
- Availability of repair and pick-up dates as soon as the damage is verified, which certainly leads to greater levels of satisfaction among vehicle owners.
- Reduced repair quote and turnaround time.
- Evenly distributed flow throughout the work week, resulting in fewer vehicles waiting for repair.
- Access to vehicles’ technical data and repair history.
Support of .NET developers in the nearshoring model
The project team includes several .NET developers from JCommerce, who are part of a team developing a system to manage car repair shops. Our developers are tasked with developing migration processes and creating dedicated cloud-based applications in collaboration with the client’s team responsible for managing the cloud environment.
I am impressed by their competence and corporate culture. Qualified and motivated new members joined our project team.
COO at Exevator AB
Business benefits for the client
- Agile project execution to facilitate remote deployment of solutions.
- Scalability of teams and the ability to utilize further support from JCommerce.
- Competence of some of the best .NET developers in Poland (according to the Clutch rankings).
- Support of a technology partner with extensive experience in the implementation of projects for clients operating in the IT consulting business, and the status of a trusted provider.
- Innovation and the ability to implement new solutions offered by the cloud (e.g. Azure Functions).
- Flexibility of the implemented solutions.
Azure cloud tools used in the project
- Azure Functions
- Azure Container Instances
- Azure DevOps
- Azure Applications Insights
- Azure Key Vaults
- Azure Cosmos DB
- Azure SQL Server
- Azure Service Bus
About the client
Exevator AB – a Swedish IT consulting company that provides services in various business areas.